1. Read carefully 1 John 4:12-16 and record your observations of these verses.
a. What are the key words? Define them.
b. In verse 12 John states that “no one has seen God”. He then gives four things that help us understand how to know that God abides in us. What are these things?
2. Love is a key word in this entire passage of 1 John 4:7—5:13. How does God show his love for us? Read the following passage before answering . . .
a. John 3:16
b. John 14:16, 17 and 16:13
c. II Timothy 3:16, 17
d. Hebrews 12:6
3. Read 1 John 4:17-19. “Fear” and “Punishment” are key words in these verses. Locate the following words in Vine’s dictionary and record their meanings.
a. Fear (phobos)
b. Punishment (kolasis)
c. Perfect (teleiosis)
4. What kind of fear are we to have toward God? What kind of fear are we not to have?
5. In verse 17, John says, “ . . . that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.” Who does “He” refer to and what does it mean “because as He is, so are we also in this world.”?